About Merrimack Business Appraisers
About Our Prinicpals
Warren Burkholder and Lou Pereira, our principals, have over 45 years combined experience and have appraised over 500 businesses. Our credentials represent the full spectrum of business valuation credentials including Master of Business Administration, Certified Business Intermediary, Certified Business Appraiser and Accredited Senior Appraiser designations.
What Differentiates MBA?
Business appraisers generally come from three different backgrounds: accountants, financial analysts, professors, and business intermediaries. At MBA we bring together the full spectrum of skills, knowledge and experience required to develop unimpeachable business appraisals. Our partners represent almost a half-century of combined experience as:
- Business Appraisers
- Business Intermediaries,
- Educators in Accounting, Finance and Business Appraisal.
What Standards Do You Use For Your Business Appraisals?
At MBA our appraisals are USPAP compliant. The Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) are promulgated by the Appraisal Standards Board of the Appraisal Foundation, which is authorized by Congress as the Source of Appraisal Standards and Appraiser Qualifications. USPAP represents the generally accepted and recognized standards of appraisal practice in the United States.
Do You Work With DLOM & DLOC?
Yes. A Discount for Lack of Marketability (DLOM) or a Discount [or Premium] for Lack of Control (DLOC) can be complex issues that are often difficult to understand for most individuals not trained in Business Valuation. The differences between minority and control values and marketable versus nonmarketable values are often subtle.
We keep abreast of the latest peer-reviewed methods regarding when and how a DLOM or a DLOC should be applied. And we fully explain the appropriate degree of adjustment when required.
Business Appraisal Services
- Certified Business Appraisals for:
- Transfer of ownership (mergers and acquisitions),
- Partner and shareholder disputes
- Dissenting stockholder actions
- Buy-sell agreements
- Marital dissolutions (divorce)
- ESOPs (Employee Stock Ownership Plans)
- And gift and estate tax filings Read our case studies
- Fairness Opinions
- Exit and liquidity plans
- New venture and expansion investment plans
- MBA can accommodate fractional minority interests as well as controlling interests as well as non-standard year ends. Each appraisal is customized to fulfill the client's needs based on the specific circumstances of the situation.
- MBA performs business appraisals for shareholders on an individual basis and for multiple parties on a collaborative basis.
At MBA we've performed appraisals for nearly every industry sector including:
- Retail and wholesale trade
- Distribution and warehousing
- Food service
- Environmental services
- Engineering services
- Insurance and real estate
- Professional practices
- And low, middle and high/emerging technology companies
Our Ethical Standards
MBA maintains the highest ethical standards of professional business appraisal including competence, impartiality, objectivity, non-advocacy and independence.